Hello dear friend,
Greeting to you in Jesus name.
Today I would like to share one of the most asked questions, can I take wine as a believer? If you say no, then people ask why Jesus turned the water into wine in John 2:1-11 and Paul telling his spiritual son to take some wine in 1 Tim5:23.
One of the greatest mistake you can make as a believer and the student of God’s word is that you pull a verse from its context and give it your meaning.
As you are reading this post I want to help you to understand the word of God (The Bible), the most important thing that you should remember is that a word has a meaning in the sentence, and a sentence has a meaning in a paragraph and a paragraph has a meaning in a chapter and a chapter in a book and a book in the Bible.
I want to share 7 reasons why did Paul told Timothy to take some wine?
- We know that Timothy was Paul’s a co-worker, while in mission field he might have fallen sick, therefore Paul is telling Timothy to take some wine.
- The water he was drinking might have been contaminated, so Paul his spiritual father had to tell him to take wine.
If you want to take wine today, let your spiritual father suggest you or encourage you to do so, if your spiritual parents doesn’t, then you don’t take.
- Timothy was not drinking wine, if he was then there was no need for Paul to remind Timothy about it.
These days few believers and church leaders drink wine, we have to tell them to stop taking wine.
- Wine in Jewish culture was not a sin, it was like giving a glass of water to the person who comes to your house – that common.
Does your culture promotes you to drink wine?
- Those days wine was made in their homes, they would use it while having their meal and special occasions. This wine was pure 0% alcohol.
The wine we get these days are mixed with alcohol, even it’s not mixed they are fermented.
- Those days wine was used as medicine, but today God has given wisdom to man to make medicine. So there is no need to take wine as a medicine.
- Finally, Paul’s statement is not an invitation to over indulgence or alcoholism.
Paul writes a letter to a church in Thessalonica and tell them not to get drunk but be filled with the Holy Spirit. 1 Thess 5:18
There are few wise people who tell they don’t get drunk but drink some time every now and then, but if you start to take a drink then the drink will take you.
But there is better than wine that is to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Wine might be good, but being filled with the Holy Spirit is the best.
I want to remind one verse, Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise. Pro 23:30
I report you decide!!
God bless you,
In your service,
Jeevan & Leena.